Approaching data analysis

Focus-Group version 3As I begin my readings on Qualitative Research Methods, I’ve already decided against my initial choice of method (case study) in favor of either a narrative or phenomenological study.  Although I like the case study approach, I don’t think it will be appropriate for my study of students who bounce back from poor academic performance to become high achievers.  What I am really “getting at” in my study is a deep exploration of how and why these students turned things around academically.  I want to hear their stories to get an in-depth understanding of what changed for them, who or what played a role in this change, and their perceptions of the change.  Do they perceive themselves differently now than they did when they started college?  And who or what was most helpful as they made the switch from low- to high-achiever?  Encouragement (or ultimatums) from parents?  University resources or faculty or advisers?  Their friends?  What mattered, and when did it matter?

So, all these questions point me towards narrative research or phenomenology.  As I imagine it, the data would be collected through semi-structured interviews, either one-on-one or in focus groups.  There would be a set of interview questions, but I would want the interviews to be open enough to allow for participant stories and clarifying questions.

I’m not totally sure which yet, but I do know that my data analysis will include coding strategies and/or narrative analysis.  I hope to be able to identify common themes among participants.  For example, did faculty or advisers provide essential guidance that encouraged this transition?  Were there resources at the university that were commonly mentioned as being critical to the students’ success?  What resources or people or challenges are brought up by participants, again and again?  I know that my data analysis will need to lead to the interpretation and clarification of these themes.